The law is one of those things that seems unglamorous and super expensive as a small business owner, but guest Tamsen Horton breaks down why covering your bases is the best way to be more creative. If you’re in business, you need to handle your legal stuff and this episode explains the areas of your business that need protection.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- The biggest things Tamsen sees entrepreneurs skipping over when it comes to legal necessities
- Why and how to treat your website like your storefront
- How protected are you online? How to tell and how to gain protection
- Tamsen explains the difference between copyrighting and trademarking
- Why you have to do the ‘hard legal stuff’ at the beginning and why it’s not smart to wait
- Why the law should be customized to your business
- Tamsen’s advice for picking a lawyer
Top Takeaways for this Episode:
- The law is what lets us be creative. Without protecting our intellectual property, we can’t be as creative as we want to.
- Get it in writing! Any joint venture, contract, etc. Protect yourself by having something in writing.
- Legal things are not meant to be templated. This is your business and your life, the best way to conduct business is not using a one size fits all template. Educate yourself to protect yourself.