You’re sitting down to write…and you’re having a hard time figuring out what to say, or even why you’re saying it. Which is where our guest Nikki Groom comes in. Today we’re talking about helping you with nailing the why for your copy and how you don’t need to find your voice, you just need to use the one you already have to be effective.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- Nikki discusses how she helps people create the ‘why’ in what they do
- You can’t know your ‘why’ if you don’t know your ‘who’
- The ‘why’ doesn’t have to solve a life changing event, it can be something small that makes a difference in someone’s day
- Nikki explains how we can use our voice to infuse into our copy, but not overdo it
- Nikki shares some of her best editing tips
- Nikki and I discuss how to use storytelling in the right way and not let it go off the rails.
- How to not get stuck in your own head when it comes time for writing
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- Creating the ‘why’ in your business can be tricky, but it is essential for copywriting. You’re looking for why your business is needed by your audience, not why you do it for yourself. Once you learn to write like this, it will flow naturally.
- Make sure you’re using your voice in your copy. You don’t want to mimic someone else or the ideal version of yourself, you need to be you. Then it’s easy to be consistent through your blog, about page, social media, on phone calls, etc.
- Powerful stories can be impactful. No one wants to see the ‘perfect’ you all the time. On the other hand, be cautious to use when it’s appropriate.