The idea of being a best kept secret sounds like a good idea because it’s exclusive. But as an online business owner, it’s a terrible idea that’s seriously bad for your biz!
For you to show up fully and make an impact people need to know about you. Today’s episode breaks down how to overcome this at a high level with some tangible ideas on how to put yourself out there more.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- The real challenge is not our competition or the market, it’s obscurity.
- If no one knows who you are, that will kill your business.
- It can be really challenging to show up in the middle of a party and introduce yourself, but the online world is easier to navigate and I’ll tell you how.
- Why showing up to give your service with receiving nothing in return is so important.
- How I figured out I couldn’t just rely on referrals for my business and what I did about it.
- People want to tell others about you, but you have to let them know you’re open for business!
- If you’re letting your clients know you’re open for business and you’re showing up and service, what else do you need to do?
6 Core Concepts of Being ‘Sticky’ (From Made to Stick):
- Simplicity: In order for your audience to really latch onto something, it has to be easy for them to grasp.
- Unexpectedness: The idea that you need to create friction and violate expectations.
- Concreteness: To be clear, you need to talk about things in terms of human action.
- Credibility: Let the concepts of what you’re putting out into the world be credible on it’s own merit.
- Emotions: You need to make people feel something to connect to you and your brand.
- Storytelling: When you hear a story, it becomes a shared experience and part of your imagination.
[Tweet “Are you too good of a well-kept secret? @magspatterson #marketingmoxie on putting an end to that”]
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- If you want to have a successful business, being the best kept secret is a terrible idea! You need to be somebody that people know your name. Being of service and being open and transparent is going to increase your chances of not being obscure.
- Referrals and Reciprocity should be a given. Really service the clients you have today and serving them is what’s going to make this happen. Don’t be too focused on generating new business instead of service your current clients.
- We need to be using the ‘sticky principles’ to be intentional in the ways you create your ideas and information so people can really hold onto it.