Calling something strategic doesn’t make it so. In fact, strategy is being used, and abused and it’s about time we have a honest discussion about the fact that not everything is strategic, and when you call everything a strategy, you’re not doing yourself any favors.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- I explain why the word ‘strategy’ puts me on edge as of late.
- The difference between a strategy and a tactic is hard to grasp and easy to make interchangeable when they shouldn’t be at all.
- When we use the word ‘strategy’ too often, we are setting the expectations off and it isn’t doing us any favor.
- Why me being a minor in history relates to the terms ‘strategy’ and ‘tactics’.
- How your strategy is the big picture plan (the ‘what’ and the ‘why’) and your tactics are your ‘how’
- Your strategy can be stretched over months or years, while the tactics are your day to day to dos to reach that goal.
- I’m not the word police, but I think the word ‘strategy’ should be used carefully so it doesn’t become just another buzzword.