Putting yourself out there can be nerve-racking and fill you up with fear. That’s why I couldn’t wait to have Kira Hug on the show to share a challenge she set for herself – pitching podcasts. Thirty of them in 30 days, in fact. She shares how she did it and how it helped her spread her wings.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- Kira pitched 30 podcasts in 30 days, she explains what really instigated this for her and how the process worked.
- At some point, you have to stop focusing on your business crushes and start focusing on your own business.
- Kira shares her biggest hang ups for her project and how she overcame them.
- It’s easy to feel like you aren’t an expert and aren’t good enough to be interviewed, but once you do it you realize you have something to say.
- Once you start building momentum, pitching becomes so much easier!
- Kira gives the advice to start small-pitch a small number of smaller podcasts and pile up the wins to boost your confidence.
- Your baby step may be to start your own show to hear your own voice and build your confidence before beginning to pitch yourself.
- We all have people we look up to in our industry, and we tend to create a chasm between ‘us’ and ‘them’. This can block you from reaching out and building a relationship with them and helping each other.
- Kira shares the biggest things she’s learned from going through the entire process.
- The online market is ever changing, you can’t just create or do one thing and expect it to last forever. Keep coming up with new ideas, and if you fail, move onto the next!
- Kira shares some of the biggest things you can do to get over the fear of pitching yourself as a podcast guest.
- Be aware of the way you’re presenting yourself, but don’t pick yourself apart after the interview is over. Celebrate it and move on!
[clickToTweet tweet=”Pitching podcasts and busting through fear with @kirahug @magspatterson #marketingmoxie” quote=”Pitching podcasts and busting through fear with @kirahug @magspatterson #marketingmoxie”]
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- Sometimes you need to bust through the fear by setting a challenge. What’s one thing you can do in the next 3 days to get over a fear?
- Kira used a building block approach to her pitching and understands how to use each experience to build for the next. How can you increase your chances of success by taking steady action over time?
- Have you been interviewed lately? Be kind to yourself. Learn from each one and improve over time. Progress not perfection.