PR is something I regularly get asked about, and it’s because it’s a mystery to most of us as business owners. In this episode, Jen Berson, founder of Jeneration PR helps demystify some PR basics for entrepreneurs. Listen in to hear her pro pitching tips and tricks.
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/marketingmoxie/MMoxie131.mp3″ title=”MM131: Jen Berson: Generating PR for Your Business” artist=”Maggie Patterson” image=”http://maggiepatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MarketingMoxie_PodcastCover.png” social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- If we’re new to PR, Jen recommends where we should get started
- Jen shares the biggest mistake entrepreneurs tend to make when doing their own PR
- When writing a pitch, you have to read the outlet that you’re pitching for, don’t just mass pitch
- Make sure you follow up on your pitches, it can get lost in the shuffle of email
- Jen shares her advice on how to try and make a human connection with the person on the other side of your email when you pitch
- Success is adding value, treating each relationship like something you want to add value to will really help them bloom and may come back to you when the time is right
- Jen shares some of the untapped media opportunities that are out there for entrepreneurs
- People are paying a lot of attention to videos right now, Jen shares some ways you can use this to share your message to a larger audience and how to do it right
- We talk about pitching and the best way to make sure our pitches are not immediately moved to the trash folder
- You may have a great pitch for one outlet that would be totally wrong for another; make sure you’re reading their articles to align your message with theirs
- Should we send a press release? Jen gives us her position
- Crafting targeted pitches or having someone do it for you is the way to truly get your message and your brand out there
[clickToTweet tweet=”PR tips for entrepreneurs from @JenerationPR and @magspatterson. #marketingmoxie” quote=”PR tips for entrepreneurs from @JenerationPR and @magspatterson. #marketingmoxie”]
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- Jen shares how to start smaller and then build that into bigger opportunities, including local media if you’d like bigger TV appearances.
- Do your homework before you pitch. Get to know what they’ve written about, the topics they cover and more. Then, connect with them via social media before you pitch.
- Keep your pitches short to keep them out of the trash folder, and get comfy with following up. No answer doesn’t mean no!